Friday, January 11, 2013

Open Minded...


Detail, detail, detail is what you need to have a good writing piece. But I noticed that I need more of it! I have great detail when it comes to a topic that i feel very strongly about the topic but I need to include lost of detail in everything that I write to keep it moving and entertaining. Not only does detail keep the writing interesting, but it can create an image in your head at the same time you are reading which may help the piece make more sense. 
When my brain get trapped and I cannot think of what else to add onto my writing I try to have an open mind on just about anything until something in my head pops up. Keeping an open mind a lot of the time actually helps me become more creative with my writing. 
Adding more characterization in my writing to describe myself or the person I am writing about more clearly will also help improve my writing in a positive way. 


When you know exactly what you're going to write about that is one of the best feelings ever because you can just write on and on and on for a long time and feel great about your writing but when you get that writers block... not such a fun feeling. Sometimes a quiet room is all I need but then again, listening to music is an amazing tool that i use for writers block too! I have really learned recently when I have an open mind and I'm listening to my music, some lyrics can really put an idea into my head. Plugging my head phones in actually really helps me with blocking out distractions. I can't hear anybody else moving or talking around me and my headphones help me keep my thoughts right inside my head and stay there.

My writing in class and my writing at home is very different. In class I can't help but looking at every single person that gets up, walks out the room, throws something away. I just cannot concentrate! I have to be in my own little bubble by myself with my music to get the writing that I want. With music, a quiet room and an open mind I am a happy camper and so is my writing because that is when it becomes entertaining! 

Pat Pattison: Creative Writing- Finding Your Voice


No comments:

Post a Comment